'The Miracle Tree'
Moringa tree is known as miracle tree and for all the right reasons. All parts of this tree are edible and jam-packed with nutrients. Let’s take a closer look at each part of this highly-nutritious tree to welcome this superfood into our lives.
Moringa Pods (Drumsticks)
Moringa oleifera is a plant native to the sub-Himalayan regions of India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, but also cultivated in other parts of Asia as well as South and Central America. The sturdy tree, also known as the “drumstick tree” or “horseradish tree,” can be grown fast and in relatively harsh conditions, including sandy soil. The moringa leaves, seeds, seed pods, root, and even bark can be processed into powders and oils, all proven to provide a wealth of health benefits.
The majority of moringa’s healthy properties are found within the leaves, which are the most widely used in medicinal applications and processed into easy-to-use powders. Moringa is said to be a rich source of minerals and vitamins, like vitamin C, iron, calcium, magnesium, and folate. Moringa, like any superfood worth its weight, is also said to contain all the essential amino acids and free radical-fighting antioxidants, and contains more protein than kale (about 2 grams per cup), along with significant anti-inflammatory properties.
Recipes with moringa leaves powder:
1. 1 tsp of moringa leaves powder in a glass of water
2. 1 tsp of moringa leaves powder in your buttermilk or any vegetable juice
3. Add moringa leaves powder to khichdi and it will be most wholesome and lipsmacking dish you ever had
4. Add it to overnight oats, top it with some seeds and nuts. Can add honey/dates/figs to it. Have it in your breakfast or as a mid evening snack! Can be added to any pudding/porridge as well.
5. 1 tsp moringa powder can be added to dals, roti(masala roti), gravies, soups, rasam, poriyal, Avial, stew, rice, thepla, pulav. Can also be added in dosa/appam/omelette/chilla batter.
6. Add moringa powder to any egg preparation and enhance its nutritional quality.
7. Add it in vegetable cutlet/Pattice and relish it
8. Add it in guacamole or any smoothie
9. Can be added in laddoos, desserts, energy bars.
10. Can be added in the dough of fresh breads/focaccia/rotis etc.
Enjoy the daily food with added nutrition from moringa powder